AWS Compute Service :
- EC2 : EC2 is the most important service in the whole of the compute domain because EC2 is a base, it is like a RAW server, we can configure it to anything according to the requirement like we can configure to web server , this web server can be resized ion according to the needs , the instances or the server you brought or we can launch multiple server of same configuration or else we can increase the configuration as well. In short note we can say that EC2 is resizable compute capacity in cloud which can be customised according to your need.
- Lambda : AWS Lambda is an advance version of EC2, it is based on EC2 but the difference between EC2 and Lambda is , Lambda can not be used to host the application, Lambda can only used to execute the background task. suppose we have an application and that application is all about images and when we upload an image , that image is compressed and stored on a file system , so the image is first uploaded to the file system ,so when the image is uploaded that is performed by application and the task which are to be done in the background like compression, filter task are the background tasks and these task can be executed using AWS Lambda and now, How does AWS Lambda functions ? AWS respond events so there are triggers you setup in AWS Lambda and in response to these triggers , AWS executes the codes , taking the same example that we are uploading a file or image , so the moment that the image gets uploaded to suppose S3 which is the file system for AWS , a trigger is generated and this trigger is just listened by AWS Lambda , it responds that they were using the code that we provide, it executes the code and wait for another event to happen and that code include for compression, applying filters and that is how AWS Lambda functions .
- Elastic Beanstalk : It is also an advanced version of EC2, but the difference between Lambda, EC2 and Elastic beanstalk is , the Elastic beanstalk is used to host an application and Lambda is not used to host an application , Elastic beanstalk is an automated form of EC2 because in that we do not have to set up the complete environment, suppose we have a PHP website , In EC2 we have to create a PHP enviornment to host PHP website but in Elastic Beanstalk we have to just select what kind of enviorment we need and AWS will install the configuration file required and give us the enviornment on which we have to upload our code and our application or website will be deployed.
- Elastic Load Balancer : It is basically used to distribute our workload among several instances , now the traffic coming on the instances has to be distributed equally among the instances, suppose we have 4 or 5 servers running and the traffic is directed to first instance and all the other 4 servers are idle , we have the capacity with us but we have not installed the protocol using which the traffic can be distributed to other instances and that protocol is Elastic Load Balancer.
- AutoScaling : Autoscaling is a service which is used to scale up and down automatically without your manually intervention , suppose we have a website running and that website is running on 5 servers, when we configure a metric, then whenever combined CPU usage goes beyond 70% it will launch new server and then the traffic will be distributed in 6 instances , the Elastic load balancer and Autoscaling are used together.
Now we are going to deploy our first EC2 instance.
Step 1 : Go to the AWS website and login to open AWS management console. Click here to open AWS
Now fill your email id and password.
After login, this is how the AWS dashboard looks like and below are all the services.
Step 2 : Now here we are going to deploy new EC2 so here we can find the EC2 under the compute domain.
Below we can see the EC2 dashboard in which running instances and key pairs and volumes and other information are available.
Step 3 : Now we will launch new instance of the EC2, so click on the Launch instance.
Step 4 : It will come on the AMI page , here AMI just as an operating system which we want to deploy on AWS .
In this scenario we are selection windows server for deploying.
Now it will ask the instance type, select the free tier eligible and click on Next: Configure Instance Details.
Step 5 : It will ask to configure the Instance detail , in the scenario we are going to leave it as it is because we are only just deploying machine for example. Now click on Next : Add Storage
Step 6 : By default we have launch 30 GB for Windows server instance , after adding storage click on Next : Add Tags
Step 7 : Now in the Add Tag Page click on Add Tag at the left side
Type the key name and click on Next: Configure Security Group.
Step 8 : Now we are on the Security Groups Page , this is for providing the permission of inbound and outbound like the firewall.
Step 9 : Now click on the Review and Launch , so it will so the below page .
Step 10 : Now click on Launch. it will ask for key pairs. so create a new key pair and download that key pair, because it will be used on connecting to the instance from your system and then click on launch instance.
Step 11 : Now click on View Instances . And we can that there is our instance.
Step 12 : Below in the instances page there is IPv4 Public IP written , so note that IP because it is the IP which is going to use on connecting the instance from the system.
Step 13 : Now by default the windows user name is Administrator and we the instacnce password which we have recently created, so click on the top Action button and then click on Get Windows Password . After that one window will be prompted so chose the key pair which we have recently created and downloaded in our system and then click on the Decrypt Password.
Step 14 : Now open the Remote Desktop Application to connect to the instance which we have created.
This is how our instance or our machine/server looks like , now we install any software in this machine and do any configuration in this whichever we want . This is How EC2 Configures.
Step 15 : To Stop the instance click on the Action –> Instance state — > Stop.
Step 16 : To delete the instance click on the Action –> Instance state — > Terminate.
Next -> Previous -> Introduction to AWS