AWS stands for Amazon Web Service, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is Amazon’s cloud web hosting platform that offers flexible, reliable, scalable, easy-to-use, and cost-effective solutions.
What are the problems we were facing before cloud computing ?
Suppose we want to host a website , these are the following things we would need to do :
- We need to buy servers
- Keeping the peak time in mind and buy some more servers for fail over.
- Monitoring and Maintenance of Servers.
Disadvantages of Not using Cloud Computing :
- The setup of servers is very expensive.
- Troubleshooting problems can be tedious and may conflict our business goals.
- Since the traffic is varying, your servers will be idle most of the time.
Now we can cover the disadvantages by using the cloud computing.
How it happens now :
- Put your data on cloud servers, No more buying expensive servers.
- Scalability , our server capacity will vary according to the traffic.
- Our cloud service provider will manage the server, hence no worries about the underlying infrastructure, we just have to focus on our application.
What is Cloud Computing ?
Cloud computing is the use of remote servers on internet to store, manage and process data rather than a local server or your personal computer.
What is AWS ?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a cloud service platform, and AWS offers computer power, database storage, content delivery and other functionality to help businesses scale and grow.
Different Domains of AWS :
- Compute : In compute there are the servers called EC2, it is a Elastic Compute Cloud, it is like a raw server, we can also configure this server according to our requirement, we can also host a website and we can use it as a work enviornment, it is just like a new computer we buy from the market and install a new operating system in the PC and configure it to any thing accordin to the requirement.
- Storage : Storage Domain include services like S3 which is Simple Storage Service and its a object based file system in which you can store your files. There is a basic difference in the databased domain and the storage domain, like database can not include the executable files, suppose we have an image file would not be stored in the database, it is better to tstore that image file in the file system and hence access that image file using a path which can be stored in the database. NOw S3 is a object base file system.
- Database : Database domain include services like RDS which stands for Relational database service, it manages databases for users like mysql, postgress, and they can automatically update the engines and they can automatically commit to our changes.
- Migration : Migration is like when we want to transfer data to AWS infrastructure or want back data from infrastructure. In this we have Migration service, this service use to transfer data to a diffrent form in the AWS infrastructure, for example if we have peta bytes scale of data in the data ware house or in the data center and he want send it to AWS infrastructure, we would be using service like Migration service. Now there are the servers called Snowball and Migration, this is used to physically transfer data to AWS infrastructure , so AWS send us a physical device which is just like a Hard drive to our premises and we transfer data to HDD and AWS set it back to the infrastructure.
- Networking and Content Delivery : It include services like route 53, route 53 is a domain name system which is basically redirects the traffic from the URL which you have purchased from domain selling website like godaddy and redirect it to your instances or servers which are hosted in the Web application .
- Management Tools : These are the tools using which we can manage the AWS resources, in this domain there is a service like cloud watch, which is all in one cloud monitoring tool, using this tool we can monitor all AWS resources which we are running in the AWS infrastructure
- Security and Identity Compliance : In Security and Identity Compliance , we have services like IAM , which is used to authenticate user and define user rights to them, for example we are running a company and we have a root AWS account, now you want other employees to work on AWS account as well but you want them to have restricted access, suppose user 1 can launch instances and user 2 can only edit instances but not launch instances and user 3 can only review instances , not launch or edit the instances, all these permission can be given to the user using IAM and this is what Security and Identity compliance domain do.
- Messaging : This domain is about services like simple email service which is used to send emails, suppose if we have an application where we have to notify the customer about new update , rather than sending email to each and every customer , we can click on the button and send it using SES and it also handle the reply which we get from user , all of this can be managed by SES which is Simple Email Service .
Next -> AWS – Compute Services